Saturday, December 5, 2015

Memoirs Of A Gittite Refugee


* Jesus pray for me
* David pray for me
* Dedicated to Alexisonfire, Boiled Frogs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgkMlEn8L2E

+-----Memoirs Of A Gittite Refugee; The Thoughts Of Ittai While Fleeing Absalom  

My life before I met you,
I don’t quite remember it…
the days just blended together,
a sort of malaise of extended time.
Ever since, the godly example of love
you set, the kind care for your people
continue to stir the goodly soul.
Now in my house even paying taxes
is part pure and part sacred,
a ritual of ascendancy,
copper is christened as official tender of
loyal subjects, and when
dropped from oily hands into silver tins
of the treasury, cues from
loud coin clinks translate serfs to courtiers.
So forevermore no matter the cost,
you are King. We'll render homage
in peace or beneath flaming arrows
skulking, in temples of opulence
or knee deep in fields of blood where
they buried the severed
head of Goliath. Where else shall we turn?
No other nation confers dignity on exiles,
food and shelter for the refugee,
the moral code of human revolution
spoken secretly between gods and
angels revealed. Friend,
wherever you go I go, and if you die,
I swear to you we die together.

----2 Samuel 15:13-21
A messenger came and told David, “The hearts of the people of Israel are with Absalom.” Then David said to all his officials who were with him in Jerusalem, “Come! We must flee, or none of us will escape from Absalom. We must leave immediately, or he will move quickly to overtake us and bring ruin on us and put the city to the sword.” The king’s officials answered him, “Your servants are ready to do whatever our lord the king chooses.” The king set out, with his entire household following him; but he left ten concubines to take care of the palace. So the king set out, with all the people following him, and they halted at the edge of the city. All his men marched past him, along with all the Kerethites and Pelethites; and all the six hundred Gittites who had accompanied him from Gath marched before the king. The king said to Ittai the Gittite, “Why should you come along with us? Go back and stay with King Absalom. You are a foreigner, an exile from your homeland. You came only yesterday. And today shall I make you wander about with us, when I do not know where I am going? Go back, and take your people with you. May the Lord show you kindness and faithfulness.” But Ittai replied to the king, “As surely as the Lord lives, and as my lord the king lives, wherever my lord the king may be, whether it means life or death, there will your servant be.”

----Boiled Frogs Lyrics
"Boiled Frogs"

[George:] A man sits at his desk
One year from retirement,
And he's up for review
Not quite sure what to do.
Each passing year
The workload grows.

[Dallas:] I'm always wishing, I'm always wishing too late
For things to go my way
It always ends up the same
(Count your blessings)
I must be missing, I must be missing the point
Your signal fades away and all I'm left with is noise
(Count your blessings on one hand)

So wait up, I'm not sleeping alone again tonight.
There's so much to dream about, there must be more to my life

[George:] Poor little tin man, still swinging his axe,
Even though his joints are clogged with rust.

[Wade:] My youth is slipping, my youth is slipping away.
Safe in monotony, (so safe), day after day
(Count your blessings)
My youth is slipping, my youth is slipping away.
Cold wind blows off the lake, and I know for sure that it's too late
(Count your blessings on one hand)

[Dallas:] So wait up, I'm not sleeping alone again tonight
There's so much to dream about, there must be more to my life.

Can't help but feel betrayed, punch the clock every single day
There's no loyalty and no remorse.
Youth sold for a pension cheque
And it makes him f* sick
He's heating up, he can't say no

(Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh)

So wait up, I'm not sleeping alone again tonight,
There's so much to dream about, there must be more to my life.
(So wait up)
So wait up I'm not sleeping alone again tonight
Between the light and shallow waves is where I'm going to die
Wait up for me
Wait up for me
Wait up for me

No comments: