Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Girdle


* Jesus pray for me
* Paul pray for me

+-----"The Girdle; The Last Words Of The Apostle Paul To His Brothers Concerning The Prophecy Of Agabus"

On the road to Damascus even
my horse was tense, my inner
thighs pulsing to the accelerated
rhythms of his heart. I pulled taut
the reins. I remember closing my eyes
then, and reciting Gamaliel’s
last words to me, a calming refrain –
“Saul, glory isnt found in the places
you’ve been but where youre going.
Its not in Egypt, but the desert, its
not in the desert but Sinai, its not
in Sinai but Canaan, not in Canaan
but Jerusalem…then Zion”
I haven’t forgotten. The hallowed words
of the Quintessential Pharisee echo down
halls in my soul, this girdle he gave me
a sacred relic of the fervent love
we shared, an admonition to be prepared
to fasten a tunic and cloak in haste,
to rush to embrace life’s journeys. So
dont weep for me brothers; One day
we'll all see the face of Christ. Until then,
press on. Scoffing at the dangers, until
we're really Home, seek Zion.

-----Acts 21:8-15
And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy. And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus. And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done. And after those days we took up our carriages, and went up to Jerusalem.

No comments: