Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The First Poem




http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=709560572945


http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=709580762485


"Adam's first words are neither to God nor to Eve but to himself. His speech is self-reflexive, the emergence of the other, Eve, gives rise to self-awareness and speech.
Why? Because self and other go together like front and back. The creation of Eve is the creation of Adam. Adam was unaware of himself before Eve. Self and Other arise together, and together they create speech." – Rabbi Rami

*dedicated to Kill Hannah - Black Poison Blood, Crazy Angel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Mh1rix-I8
*dedicated to Augustana - Boston http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLluvXi5nOs

--------[Visceral: Adam's Thoughts Upon Looking Into Eve's Eyes]


Its visceral
you don’t have to say anything
but I already know when you speak
your words will surfeit my soul
(I can just tell)
your eyes are different, but they’re enchanting
they have acuity, seeing me for what I am becoming
not always what I am
but I see you as you are
your body is strange (not entirely like mine) yet beguiling
your hair – has panache
your feet are comely, not like mine
with the accumulation of excess mud,
chasing, and playing with the animals
we are opposites from the same flesh
complimentary yet contrary
when I see the earth I see duty
you regale it with your care
and nourish it, mesmerized by it
Ive seen the moon so much I give it my apathy
yet it continually enthralls you
and
I want desperately to hold you;
you desperately want to be held
(where my rib was eviscerated)
you call it love
I call it recognition…that everything I didn't have
God provided me with
that when youre absent, Im fragmented
and together I have a preternatural sense
of peace
because your bone is my bone now
and the land is our land
the world is our world – this Garden
Im just glad I have someone to share it with





------Genesis 2:18-25----------
And the LORD God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him." Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him. And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
And Adam said:
"This is now bone of my bones
And flesh of my flesh;
She shall be called Woman,
Because she was taken out of Man."
Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

-------------------
"Behold" says the Bridegroom as the two meet. This exclamation is one of rapturous acclaim, akin to that with which the first man, Adam, cried out when he awoke from his deep prophetic sleep and beheld the first woman who ever graced creation with her beauty - coming over the sward to meet him, her graceful step scarcely disturbing the morning dews. Such a creature had never been seen in creation before. For grace, beauty, delicacy, and gentleness, she excelled every creature. Even angels did not compare with her. "THIS" - Adam cried out –“THIS is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh." His exclamation expresses emphatically, (in the Hebrew), his delight, admiration, and wonder at the appearance of Woman" – ????

And what is literary in the sense I am thinking of is that the technique of poetry is used at a moment of enormous intensity in the words between God and the most despised of mortal creatures. Earlier in this second of the two creation myths at the beginning of Genesis, when Adam sees Eve for the first time, after God has made her from his rib, he is given by the compilers of these texts a brief speech that is represented as poetic lines–again because of its emotional intensity, although in this case an overflowing of human wonder rather than of divine wrath: "This one at least / Is bone of my bones / And flesh of my flesh. / This one shall be called Woman, / For from man was she taken." – Reginald Gibbons http://writing-arts-blog.northwestern.edu/tag/poetry-of-the-bible/


Black Poison Blood lyrics----

It looked like the perfect day
In photos we were smiling
But something was wrong in you
Inside you were suffering
Lungs were barely moving
I wanted to comfort you
So i said, "ahhh..
Oh you'll fix all my cracked broken bones
And replace all my black poison blood"
She murdered me with a smile
Strangled me with her eyes
I'm poisoned as she passes by
The buildings around me shake
Like cheap plastic wedding cake
I fell to the ground with you
Then you said, "shhh..
Oh you'll fix all my cracked broken bones
And replace all my black poison blood!
Black poison blood!"

No comments: