Thursday, October 15, 2015

The Night Whitney Baptized Me


* Jesus pray for me
* John the Baptist, pray for me
* Dedicated to Whitney and to the relationship that never was.
#IamJesusChrist


+-----The Night Whitney Baptized Me 

Whitney, when I first saw you from afar,
(Such effulgent innocence!
Such burnished beauty!)
standing so stately on the banks of the
Jordan River flanked by fawning crowds,
your curly hair and blue eyes divine,
as if you had never ever known sin,
like you devoted your life to eradicating it
to prep humanity for the best things,
through the haze of dust and
discharged pebbles of my adulation
for you scattered
in the air due to my anxious and frenzied
pacing, my sandals one with the
earth, frayed, due to wearied chasing
after innumerable failed romances,
I fell in love. I did not want anything
to change, my heaven was on earth
with you. I looked forward to charming
you, dating you, kissing you
in sync with a choir of joyous angels
singing, rapturous celestial melodies
while lost in your lips…But I noticed you,
upon my approaching, had other plans,
engagement ring on your finger
like a robe fashioned of camel hair,
leather belt of sass that will never
ever belong to me but fit so snugly
on your sexy and voluptuous body.
God I love your breasts.
The gut wrenching request you made
of me was to accept your union
with another man in matrimony,
the death and drowning
of my heart by your soft hands placed atop
my head thrusting me
under dirty water
of your abandonment, fish, leeches,
crass men’s urine and dung floating.
When the reality and gravitas of your
commitment really resonated,
a piece of me stayed down below,
like I inherited some sin I was
never intended to that overwhelmed
my soul with an inconsolable rictus.
I never really learned to be resilient
in the face of rejection, never really learned
to swim. When I rise, I know it will
be without you, I know you expect me
to be this classy and better man
dutiful and scrupulous in his mission.
A mission to find the woman Im supposed
to marry who isn’t you…
I don’t know if I can do it. I don’t know
if after seeing your wedding photos,
I will be able to breathe. May the Grace
of God descend on me like a dove
and give me strength.


-----Matthew 3:13-17
Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to the Jordan, unto John, to be baptized by him. But John stayed him, saying: I ought to be baptized by thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering, said to him: Suffer it to be so now. For so it becometh us to fulfill all justice. Then he suffered him. And Jesus being baptized, forthwith came out of the water: and lo, the heavens were opened to him: and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him. And behold a voice from heaven, saying: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

No comments: