Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Moor Than This


image courtesy of archbishopterry.blogspot.com



[Yo Jesus! Come on maaaan! Like on ESPN - Come on man! Im just trying to date that Anne Hathaway waitress at Champps you know? Why you gotta concern me with other people's salvation son? Im in a boat of my own convenience son! Im in a boat Jesus, leave me be! IM IN A BOAT!]


--------------------------/Moor Than This: Simon's Thoughts Upon Hearing Jesus' Invitation to Join Him

All life is a sea
boundless and enigmatic (dangerous) intractable
opportunities like fish
varied, some voluptuous and auspicious others anemic and foreboding
robust tilapia or gaunt carp
a full harvest of posterity, a comely shapely wife or insidious regret
hinging on bitter and lonely leprosy of the soul wherein men steal
and murder exercising
the only jurisprudence their lovelorn disadvantage teaches....
destiny is the boat you are given - whether sleek gliding through adversity
or misshapen, asymmetrical stalling in affliction bearing the brunt of
its wind and waves retaining water, drowning
the hapless and the damned just sit dropping in their lines of hope dying
with empty nets of expectancy
with no aspiration but to capsize to Hades yet the best of us are just a day
a week, a month away from abjection and beggary
there is no god but if fisherman dared name him his appellation: Chance
our bait is nothing save a worm of pretense and deception
we put on airs as if we lure them, but the fish lure us into a fixed state
of morass: our years dependent on their stupidity; or their entertainment
of ours
I stare and see my reflection
I gaze into memories of being hoisted into the clouds by my father
mom smiling airily below. I spread my arms told them the world
my footstool - the stars my playmates 
but now in my thirties I sit on a piece of wood and just float in place
embracing the inertia that is Simon
all the while Caesar carves his name on shores of the universe
I could catch all the fish in all of Israel for all I care
I just wish my net would for once in my life haul in a catch of criticality
precedence, gravity
that existence would have a grander purpose than crossing fingers each day
wishing I would have learned how to swim
wistfully closing my eyes before Andrew unmoors



----Matthew 4:17-22
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. And they straightway left their nets, and followed him. And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them. And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him.

No comments: