Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Summer is Dead Part 5: Red October





For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Selah (Psalm 32:4)


-------------------/Summer is Dead Part 5: Red October


J*ne , I keep praying for the cold air
that chilled winds would whisk your fair face from my dreams
whether in distracted thought
or at night when the shadows fall upon us
and I crave the numbing frost, covers over my head
replete with icicles outside my bedroom window
laying all alone
wanting repose for my soul – and severe bouts of shivering
but the sun wont stop and
the balmy weather just wont relent (will it?)
and your charm, your white teeth, your golden brown hair
your beauty with it
the unseasonable warmth this autumn reminds me of you
(it reminds me of so much)
and my disposition
when I fell for you so precipitously. It was about June or May
the thick of the scorching epoch of love
tank tops and plaid shorts and skirts
when I was gasping and sweating, straining to breathe
…because you were so hot to me (still are)
I want snow
and I want frozen ponds to skate on (the fish beneath mocking us)
and daggon it J*ne, I want you
to wear mittens and a knit hat, as I tie your scarf around your neck
maybe we could go skiing together, or just walking as gusts blow
flakes in our eyes playfully
(Jack Frost's nod to two yuletide darlings)
BUT THE SEARING HEAT WILL NOT FORSWEAR ITS ABUSE
and the parched land remains unquenched
and my throat is still parched too
Im tired of all this hot weather in October in DC dagnabit!
J*ne to be deprived of your affections is like dying by scalding breeze
emanating from of an angry and irascible sun
determined to keep me full of misery
with heavy hands of rejection day after day
you told me you didn't want me, and I can only respect that
but please number these sizzling days....dismiss summer
beckon the time for thick coats and chapped lips
the sooner it gets cold
the sooner I can try to forget I ever knew you
and let my heart die
stiff, petrified, jilted and chattering

(buried in white)

No comments: