Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Strength of Woman


Village life in Israel ceased,
ceased until I, Deborah, arose,
arose a mother in Israel. [Judges 5:7]


-------------[ A Woman's Worth]


I am girl; I am like precious ointment
without me creation's wounds fester
Ehud is dead
and all over the land
evil is like this thick dark fog descending
enslaving people
cracking my tender heart;
under the cumulative cruelty of Jabin
all eyes have become inured to pain
twenty years: of suffering and lament
my only cure is
a mother's love
the graceful beauty of fortitude feminine
to nurture under the Palm of Deborah
and to impart wisdom between Ramah and Bethel
wrapping Israel in my arms

I am worth more than rubies
and my resolve more than
ten thousand men of Naphtali and Zebulun under my command
formidable like Sisera are the struggles I face
(powerful like male melancholy and cynicism)
...chief of the army of Jabin
yet I hold the confidence of my people still.
without me the strongest of men are but Barak
warriors without a war, husbands without brides
big exterior muscles yet deep needs within
To a woman with strength men always confess
"If you go with me, I will go; but if you don't go with me, I won't go."
I am his desire
my companionship necessary

Woman is the most valuable asset
our loyalty endures as far as Mount Tabor
standing by the side of man, giving him faith to succeed
to chase wild dreams to Harosheth and Haggoyim
even those evasive ones that
abandon their chariots and flee on foot
and we revel when the Lord routs his enemies
because his victory is ours shared. because
we always speak last
even if we dont get the final word
like Jael wife of Heber, the legacy lives on
may the Lord drive a tent peg through the head
of all who doubt the strength

(...proudly feminine...proudly strong)


I am Mother
I am Sister
I am Daughter
I am Wife
I am Judge





------------
Judges 4:4-10
Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was leading Israel at that time. She held court under the Palm of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of Ephraim, and the Israelites came to her to have their disputes decided. She sent for Barak son of Abinoam from Kedesh in Naphtali and said to him, "The LORD, the God of Israel, commands you: 'Go, take with you ten thousand men of Naphtali and Zebulun and lead the way to Mount Tabor. I will lure Sisera, the commander of Jabin's army, with his chariots and his troops to the Kishon River and give him into your hands.' "Barak said to her, "If you go with me, I will go; but if you don't go with me, I won't go." "Very well," Deborah said, "I will go with you. But because of the way you are going about this, the honor will not be yours, for the LORD will hand Sisera over to a woman." So Deborah went with Barak to Kedesh, where he summoned Zebulun and Naphtali. Ten thousand men followed him, and Deborah also went with him.

Judges 5:12
'Wake up, wake up, Deborah!
Wake up, wake up, break out in song!
Arise, O Barak!
Take captive your captives, O son of Abinoam.'

No comments: