Sunday, September 20, 2009

Praying for Melchizedek


+

------------------Thoughts on Melchizedek


My heart is fatigued
worn by blood and screams of hatred
and hoofs of horses are like deafening thunder which
is causing me a massive headache
and I feel remorse for the vacuous eyes of my victims
when I raise my sword
or draw and arrow from my quiver
greeted by the angel of death
before crossing to the other side. Vapid is this
constant strife and needless struggle
deep within we all dream dreams of peace - prosperity for all
when the final horn is blown, and the banners
are raised in victory instead of extolling my achievements
I cry
because I feel misunderstood
(and Im hungry and Im thirsty)
and hunted at the same time. When the sun sets,
usually after a brief cessation from the day's strife, I kneel down
and run my fingers across the dirt drawing
meaningless nothings
until I can stop my hands from shaking
and mount my horse, and embark on the journey
back home
longing for respite, recognition, community
and control
placing my chin on my chest
as the wind chills my bones
praying for a blessing to end it all
for an answer
I would give a tenth of all I own



--------------------------------------------------------------
Genesis 14:17-20
After his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him, the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley). And King Melchizedek of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was priest of God Most High. He blessed him and said, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, maker of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!" And Abram gave him one tenth of everything.

No comments: