Friday, September 11, 2009

Autumn Life


* Dedicated to Underaoth "Young and Aspiring"


Autumn Life----(Thoughts from The Apostle Paul)



Summer's coming to an end...
the cloudy skies, the cool winds jostling branches on trees
and the requisite chill they bring
stir my mind to autumn days long ago, as a youth in Rome
writing on wax tablets and day dreaming
of days in authority as an adult
of days in Zion, twirling the staff of Moses parting and closing
the rivers; sitting next to David on his throne
recounting stories of the glory days gone by
(and how tall Goliath really was)
we stared at the clouds, though our teacher admonished
never to stare at the sun
but ever since, I have harbored this longing caged in flesh
to be free
to open my eyes and see the truth
to bend my ears and hear wisdom and knowledge from above
and rest securely, not intermittently roused from fear of barbarians
shooting firebrand arrows through the lattice
to be anywhere but here...where injustice is sport
lies promulgated without regret
and the wicked idolatrous endure a prosperous reign
unable to restrain their resident disobedience
fomenting deceitful malice within their hearts, and even I
want to do right, but often times I do what is wrong
I want what is unlawful but pleasurable
Enslaved by sin
so I am always unhappy, though I smile for your sake
and withstand
hoping for death, eternal life in the frigid air
with Christ I stand to gain



--------------------------------------------------]
Philippians 1:20-26
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.



2 Corinthians 5:6-10
Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. We live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.



Youg and Aspiring Lyrics*
Underoath Young And Aspiring Lyrics

So lets not even try you're right lets ball it up and throw it out the window
It's becoming all so clear in my mind
I've thought this through more like once or twice
I feel that this is my last request to you

Hold your breath
Bottle it up and save it for the next one
It's safe to say we've been riding this all night
None of this will ever change your mind
It's never safe to rely on borrowed time
Now we're both undone and it's time to open up your eyes

Consequence it's our need in times like this
Feeling free is our modern disease
You're a classic disaster with a knack for losing your exterior
I'm so sick
From staring at the mirror

This all nees a break from you
And I'm used to this

I fear that I am just an end
So you'll play the mistaken and I'll play the victim
In our screenplay of desire and I'm still writing
The letters I'll never send

Running in circles I can't forget how many times
I've played this in my mind

Feeling free feeling free
This is my panic this is my call to arms

Written by Underoath. © 2004 814 Stops Today (ASCAP)/Thirsty Moon River Publishing (ASCAP)

No comments: