Thursday, January 3, 2013

Samuel, Interrupted



*Dedicated to Samuel
[Hey Samuel: What up big baby? How you dooooon playboy? Let's write this poetry son! Now go head and tell the folks what you was thinking that lonely night of ages past!]



------------------------/A Moment Etched; Samuel's Thoughts On Being Summoned By God In the Temple

Dreams
of laurels of speech victorious proclamations of my future acclaim
an elder priest smiling on his protégée perhaps pleasantly
glimpsing into a mirror at former shades of himself the sun at our backs
long shadows cast on the peoples gathered en masse gleaming eyes
squinting (before the introduction of a prophet)
blended with vivid memories of dialogue mom eyes reddened
suppressing tears of absence, reunion, then prolonged absence again
intuitive knowing this discordant pattern is forever…..
a mother from afar, conflicted assurances: family never dies
(twirling strands of her hair in my diminutive hands)
yet I will be missed…then a voice foreign, tongue airy
mysteriously disembodied almost language
of garbled whispers angelic jarred awake vigorous heart palpitations
candle light flickering pre-pubescent sweat
Eli’s eyes dim a metaphor poetic rendering boy in shadows of uncertainty
separated from parents and kin most of the time afraid
summoning sentimental séances speaking sappily “Samuel”
yet calling forth a stranger, a ghost a non-entity
addressing me with conviction a sincerity and warmth never heard before  
I am a soul yet to be revealed  
the temple is my house but it is not a house the search
endless for meaning and specificity of identity a bit
delusional maybe or maybe destiny has deigned to dance
in a culture desperate
for divination to know a grander meaning
and a boy desperate to do more than wipe up blood of slain goats
tossing and turning restlessly sleeping on the cold floor so
when God stares at you in your sleep and speaks
you want  the bland life you thought you knew shattered into a thousand shards;
at the roll call of new possibility of greatness you have no choice
but to seize the moment



(and proclaim “Here I am”…three times for dramatic affect)


------------1 Samuel 3:1-8

And the child Samuel ministered unto the Lord before Eli. And the word of the Lord was precious in those days; there was no open vision. And it came to pass at that time, when Eli was laid down in his place, and his eyes began to wax dim, that he could not see; And ere the lamp of God went out in the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep; That the Lord called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I. And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I called not; lie down again. And he went and lay down. And the Lord called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And he answered, I called not, my son; lie down again. Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, neither was the word of the Lord yet revealed unto him. And the Lord called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the Lord had called the child.

No comments: