Monday, October 19, 2009

Uriah Lived


*Dedicated to the memory of Uriah. Good men: persevere


An Entreaty Refused; Uriah's Prose (2 Samuel 11)-----------------
(The words of Uriah in King David's Court)


It was the latter end of December, years ago
at dusk
en route home after infantry training,
sloped against a dilapidated alley wall
I noticed a crippled, sickly, disheveled man
slightly writhing...sporadically convulsing (and coughing)
I hurriedly ran to him and extended my hand
hoping to provide him lodging at my house, shelter
from the shivery, frigid wind chills
but I was too late…his hands colder than the fiercest winter.
Before dying he stared directly into my eyes
"you are my second chance, redemption for a life
miserably mismanaged, cruelly expressed
if you seek my well-being, then promise to live fully and honorably (for me)
and don’t look back"
So now I always will myself to rise before the sun comes up
to make my peace before the Ark of the Covenant with God
I have made many mistakes and deserve more so to die than most
but by God have been spared, while others lament in Sheol
or pray to pass over there while unbearably writhing on earth
death before dishonor
a temporal noble life before eternal ignominy
that's what I promised him
I don't mind sleeping outside on the ground tonight
for this is a life
(my life)
worth dying for



[for Jerusalem, liberty, Abraham and Moses...
and my band of brothers in the fields marching]



2 Samuel 11:6b-11-------------------------------
And Joab sent him to David. When Uriah came to him, David asked him how Joab was, how the soldiers were and how the war was going. Then David said to Uriah, "Go down to your house and wash your feet." So Uriah left the palace, and a gift from the king was sent after him. But Uriah slept at the entrance to the palace with all his master's servants and did not go down to his house. When David was told, "Uriah did not go home," he asked him, "Haven't you just come from a distance? Why didn't you go home?" Uriah said to David, "The ark and Israel and Judah are staying in tents, and my master Joab and my lord's men are camped in the open fields. How could I go to my house to eat and drink and lie with my wife? As surely as you live, I will not do such a thing!"

No comments: