Friday, September 24, 2010

The Fire Between Us





Leviticus 9:23-10:2
And Moses and Aaron went into the tabernacle of the congregation, and came out, and blessed the people: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto all the people. And there came a fire out from before the LORD, and consumed upon the altar the burnt offering and the fat: which when all the people saw, they shouted, and fell on their faces. And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.



---------------------/The Fire Between Us



Its so surreal that I have these feelings for you now
when I first met you your presence fostered peace
goodwill
it was so common at that time for me to slaughter unfamiliarity
blood profusely pouring from the sacrifices I made regularly
to make friends
engender accord
to have fellowship....really no big deal
(just Moses and Aaron walking into the tabernacle)
you were one of my many routine ceremonies just to get by
another year
black ashes and black smoke rose
from my generally jejune mood
my sentiments towards you: the fat of a bullock and a ram
and these were widely accepted by all
preferable
people falling on their faces – because they harmed none
but somehow inexplicably I began to fall for you
you started to become more beautiful
your personality more vivacious….addictive
the notions of Nadab and Abihu
of intrigue and bedazzlement filled me
flickering gradually but now without restraint
I started dreaming about you praying that God would make me
fall headlong in love with you
(raging excitement like fire in the censer of my heart)
and we both know no one will readily accept this
strange fire
everyone – the scores of people that like you will
bemoan and shrill in protest
and the love I have
(Im pretty sure Im falling in love with you)
will probably devour all the alliances Ive made
as jealousy attempts to make me rue the day
yet I don't mind dying for you
singed for my newfound piety

No comments: