Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Formerly Simon

* Saint Peter pray for me
http://www.ewtn.com/library/curia/cdfprima.htm

(Ayo!! Party peoples, now when I say Peter was the rock the church was built on, don't get me confused with Built on Rock Prison Ministries in Baltimore, Maryland, or with Rocafella Records - Jay Z's Label he colloquially refers to as THE ROCK!!!!)

+-------------------------/Formerly Simon

When a man fishes he doesn’t usually think
epistemologically, of his relation to
the universe, or the world,  or the heavens, 
or how he came to a villainous stare into
waters, wishing death upon any who bite the hook
wrenching creatures from home and hearth
with a string
into the hull with intentions to slaughter.
But when I see your face
I think of epistemology. Of how I came to turn
my head at the cordial yet assured summons
of a tall bearded Galilean,
betraying the life I formerly knew
for a seemingly cavalier gambit
to topple Roman Rule and haste
Jewish Heaven to an increasingly crass
pagan earth.
Its as if the buckling of the waves,
premonitions of the deep,
jostling the boat and brisk breezes brushing
aside Andrew’s hair were the first signs of
nature’s obeisance to its new Savior.
I thought on these things as the sun rose
today on the latch of my sandals-
the risk of heresy in the synagogue,
the chatter of lunacy and deceit amongst
the crowds, imminent death for that which
the 12 of us don’t yet fully understand.
And maybe, in the end, I am my mother’s son,
brash and impulsive and fiery.
But here we all stand, at the edge of time,
the angel of death traipsing through Egypt
with a thirst for our enemies’ firstborn.
To a man whose eyes call forth Peter
when I would simply settle on Simon:
(to a man who can raise the dead)
I cant foresee how this all plays out,
but I know this heart’s new fire, my soul
in pure ecstasy ignited.
This is me now, and I make my vows
to you forever... no matter what or who
anyone else says you are.


(My faith in the goodness of our cause is as solid as a Rock)
Who do people say that the Son of Man is?

------------------Matthew 16:13-19
Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”  And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”


-----John 20:3-6a
So Peter and the other disciple started for the tomb. Both were running, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. He bent over and looked in at the strips of linen lying there but did not go in. Then Simon Peter came along behind him and went straight into the tomb…

No comments: